Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Playdate with the Kitano kids

Following a morning family devotional regarding "good friends" and "bad friends", we asked Juhee who her "good friends" are she said "Rise (pronounced lee-seh), Sogo and Kenshin!"

Introducing the 3 Kitano kids, Rise-chan (bottom left), Kenshin-kun (top left) and Sogo-kun (next to Juhee):


They came over for a playdate on January 3rd, during their short winter vacation, and we baked cookies together, ate lunch together and the four of them had LOTS of fun together! Juhee didn't do too bad a job sharing although she definitely could have done better. ^^;

At Kabe Chapel, the elementary school aged kids play in the tatami room during the sermon. On our first Sunday in Japan, Juhee went to play with the other kids and Sungjae and I went too. When Juhee spoke to them in English, the oldest kid there made fun of her. And so the other two kids there did too. She wasn't quite sure what to do. She'd never been in that situation. I didn't interfere 'cause I wanted to see how she would react and also because I didn't want her to become reliant on me defending her. Rise-chan, although younger than the other kids, told them off and blocked Juhee from trying to play with them.

I was so glad Rise-chan was there for her that day. As well as making fun of her, the kids were playing really rough too. Kids here tend to be much more physical, much more touchy-feely than kids in the US. They're almost like opposite extremes: America's almost becoming overly-cautious (slightly paranoid?) about physical contact and Japan's very open about it. Well, while they're kids anyway. During the few years I was in Korea as a child, I remember play being much more rough too. I don't know if it still is though. Kids here are also louder than kids in the US. I think it scares Juhee a bit because they're sooo loud sometimes and right in her face so sometimes she just turns away from them. Hopefully she'll get used to this soon.

Juhee's not been very nice to Rise-chan recently so they're becoming a bit distant. Part of it is cultural misunderstanding. Rise-chan keeps on wanting to hug / protect Juhee and Juhee doesn't like the feeling of being contained / stopped so she keeps on fighting back and running away when Rise-chan is just trying to love on her and protect her. Hopefully they'll get through this soon because Rise-chan is a very sweet, caring, loving, sweet, intelligent little girl and I would love for them to be good friends. Sogo and Kenshin have just been completely awesome too and Juhee's always asking for Sogo. :)

Juhee keeps on asking when they can come again to play so I guess the playdate was a success. She conked out for over 2 hours after they left. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment