Sunday, July 15, 2012

Out of Sight, Out of Mind?

"Out of Sight, Out of Mind", is something we never want to be.  Thanks to modern technology, I don't think that it happens as much with missionaries these days as it used to.  Although maybe back in the days when missionaries packed their possessions into a coffin when moving to the land that God was calling them to, the churches, friends, and family, prayed for them more fervently as the dangers were more real and constantly present, and each (news)letter / update was more treasured as it was much more precious.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been a missionary back then...  Can you???

I read this article title "What I want for all missionaries" and found myself relating to a lot of it.  Some of it is sad, but true.  And I admit that when we first came to Japan, it hurt a little bit that we seemed to have been forgotten by many.  But then reality hit: we're out of sight, out of mind, and people are just busy.  It's not they they've stopped caring.  They still do.  Well, I think so anyway. :)  Besides, most churches don't have missions committees that send care packages / cards / presents to their missionaries or have a main contact person who gets in touch with their missionaries now and again.  I am grateful for technology that allows us to keep in touch with friends and family back home so easily: email, Skype, Facebook, FaceTime, iMessage...  I am grateful for those with a passion for missions overseas and the care of missionaries.  When we receive a reply to one of our newsletters, an email or card letting us know that someone has been praying for us, a comment on our Facebook wall, a care package, they touch our hearts and fill our hearts with joy.  They even give us energy and courage, too. :)


(Sungjae standing on the sofa (right before he was kindly :) asked to sit down) in our living room. Our curtain is decorated (mostly) with cards from loved ones back home. <3)

Here are a few more about life as a missionary.  One on the pressures of writing newsletters, presenting/doing reports, one fun one about a cute guy in jeans =D and a funny one on language learning.

Life as a missionary may be many things, but it's definitely not boring!


Thank you for keeping us in your hearts, minds, and prayers, even though we're usually out of sight.  We really do appreciate every contact you make with us and look forward to being able to see you again face-to-face (and maybe get a hug too!). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment