Sunday, October 7, 2012

Politics...

If I was smart, I probably wouldn't be posting this...  But obviously, I'm not.  I know I'm putting my neck out a bit by writing about Korean-Japanese politics right now, but I feel like it's something worth putting me neck out for.  Besides, this blog doesn't have a very large readership. :P

I know that as Christians, our identities are supposed to be beyond national borders, anything to do with this earth even, as our home is not here on earth and we are all one family.

But.  I'm human.  And it is true, that I use my nationality to my advantage.  Even my future nationality.  Let me explain: I'm Korean by citizenship, Korean-German-British-American-and-becoming-a-little-bit-Japanese in mindset, and will probably have American citizenship in the future.  I am introduced as an American when I'm an English teacher, and introduced as a Korean when I'm leading Korean events.  Both have benefits.  Being Korean has also had huge benefits with the popularity of Korean pop culture in Japan.

I haven't told many people about this...  But a few weeks after we moved to Japan, we were driving from our team leaders' house to ours and I saw a Japanese flag for the first time since moving here.  My immediate reaction was fear and a combination of other not-so-good emotions.  I've always had lots of Japanese friends, had an interest in the language and culture, but the flag has always symbolized imperialism, ruthlessness, Japanese supremacism, and blood.  For me, it's not a good red/blood like the red cross symbol or the blood of Christ, it symbolizes the blood of millions and millions of innocent lives lost because of the Japanese.  The fear and pain I felt when I saw that flag that cold, winter day, alarmed me as it awakened emotions that I weren't aware of.  I had been focusing on the Japanese people as individuals and as a nation with a very low percentage of Christians that God was calling me to go love.  The little Japanese flag on the brochures that we'd handed out hundred of copies to while preparing to come here hadn't had any effect on me, but seeing a big one waving in the winter breeze was different...  It really brought home to me the fact that we were in Japan.

Most days, I'm able to just live as a foreigner...  Now and again, due to political issues, I find it challenging to live here as a Korean, quietly.  During the past couple of months, it's been like that more frequently due to the Dokdo islets issue. :(

Here are some links from The Japan Times.  I read the Japan Times first because I feel it's important to see what and how writers in Japan are reporting things.  If I have time, I read Korean newspapers (in English) and/or other Japanese newspapers (in English) too.  Usually, I don't have time. :/

Here's a Q&A, and one article stating towards the end that the reason for the Dokdo islet row is due to the Shimane Prefectural Assembly approving an ordinance last March designation Feb. 22nd as "Takeshima Day" (Takeshima is Japan's name for Dokdo) and another article stating that it's due to the Japanese government allowing Japanese Jr. High textbooks to state that they're Japan's.  Either way, the row was provoked by Japan.  This one actually pretty much squarely put the blame on PM Noda.  I actually felt really bad for our President reading this one.  I feel bad that he has to deal with people like Noda.

Here are two regarding the effects of this row vs. tourism and the K-pop culture boom.

I don't know many Korean politicians, but I've come to respect our Foreign Minister, Kim Sung Hwan.  He has a difficult job during a difficult time and he seems to be choosing his words with care and with dignity.  Here's one titled, "South Korea tells Japan to confront its history" and another one titled "S. Korea raises issue of wartime sexual slavery at U.N. assembly".  I really appreciated the points he made in the first one in particular.

I couldn't find any articles on this in Japanese newspapers, but the day after President Lee's visit to Dokdo, a man on a motorcycle threw a brick through the door of the Korean Consulate in downtown Hiroshima.  It lead to heightened security of all Korean Embassy/Consulates throughout Japan.

Many articles theorize as to why President Lee stirred up this issue but I think they're wrong on two things: 1. President Lee isn't the one who stirred up this issue, 2. they should be asking why PM Noda is stirring up this issue, especially when he has so many problems on the home front...  But maybe that's exactly it...

After all that Japan put Korea through and not having apologized for it (unlike Germany) let alone provide compensation, how can they even think to put us through more?  I just don't understand...  Do they not have a conscious?  Have they not learned from history?

I wish I could be "neutral".  I wish politics didn't evoke such emotions within me.  I am grateful that politics hasn't blinded my friends or our kids' teachers and that they remain to be good friends to us.  I am so humbled by my imperfections and pray that God will really teach me to be able to focus on those things that are eternal.

My heart cries for the people of my country that have suffered so much.  My heart also cries for the people of the country that God has called me to, as they continue to learn from textbooks that hide the truth and have leaders that continue to provoke unhealthy (as opposed to healthy) nationalistic, imperialistic sentiments.

One Korean I recently spoke to, who has been doing missions in Japan for decades, told me that a Japanese pastor's wife that she has known for decades, called her and asked why a Christian Korean President visited Dokdo (accusingly).  The Korean apologized to her and sent her a big shipment of Korean seaweed...

Pray for the hundreds of Korean missionaries in Japan who may be faced with similar questions from Japanese pastors, wives, and congregation members.  Pray for their children, that they are not bullied and feel insecure.  Pray that the Koreans, Korean-Japanese, half Korean half Japanese living in Japan will be able to look upon Jesus for peace and comfort, and continue to look to His word for wisdom in dealing with situations that may arise.  For the children that may be dealing with identity issues, pray that God will send someone to help them with their internal struggles.  Pray that this political row doesn't have detrimental effects in the efforts of long-term and short-term missionaries here.  Pray that we'll really be able to LOVE wholeheartedly.  Pray for the politicians, that they will be able to find a peaceful solution to this row.  Pray for all of the upheaval around the world.  There's so much instability everywhere right now...

Politics.

No politics in Heaven. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment