(Picture taken at Korea Town, Osaka, the first week we arrived in Japan.)
Before we left the US, many people warned us about meeting Koreans in Osaka, as there are many from both the North and South. Koreans from the North and their way of life in Japan is actually more well-known that that of those from the South. Through God’s grace we got to know a bit about both first hand during our trip. For example, we were able to learn that there are also South Korean schools in Japan too and about how they are run. We saw businesses operated by Koreans from both sides and saw how, as with the 2nd, 3rd generation Korean-Americans in the US, the later generations found it easier to speak in Japanese than in Korean and perhaps even considered themselves more Japanese than Korean too, regardless of which country's passport they held.
I had felt like we only had half of the picture of Koreans in Japan, but from this trip, I now feel like we have a nearly full, much clearer picture. There are still lots of questions that I would like to ask and find out about as the dynamics between the two groups seems to be a very complex one, but I don’t feel that now is the time to explore this relationship further. However, if Osaka is where God intends for us to go, I’m sure that it will be inevitable that we do establish relationships with Koreans from both sides, as God has called us to love those in Japan, not just the South Koreans, the westerners and Japanese in Japan, but all.
It'll be very challenging and both sides of our families will have plenty to say to us about it, so we'll be needing lots of wisdom, protection, understanding, big hearts and open minds.


No comments:
Post a Comment