Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Acupuncture for my right foot

Back in May, on the day of Sungjae's one year check-up, I missed a step coming out of the doctor's office and hurt my right foot & ankle and skinned my left knee. My left knee healed soon enough but my right foot & ankle swelled up that evening and I was in a lot of pain for the next few days. I hobbled and hopped around the house trying to get housework done and feed the family. I actually got sick a couple of days after which was a mixed blessing as it allowed me to rest my right foot & ankle.

A month later, it was still hurting so I went to see a doctor. With my limited Japanese (doctor had no English), I managed to understand that she said it was normal for such injuries to still hurt after a month. At a traditional Japanese restaurant that we went to with our VBS summer missions teams in August, I sat down on my feet, traditional Japanese style just for a little bit. I looked at my foot as it was hurting more than usual and the whole right side of my foot had bruised up.

We'd decided a couple of weeks prior that I would go to Korea with the kids for 10 days for a number of reasons, receiving treatment from a doctor that I can communicate with, being one of them. I went to an acupuncturist 2 minute walk from my parents' apartment and received treatment three times during the time I was there. She said that a bone in my right foot had probably fractured slightly which is why it didn't stay swollen but I was in so much pain for so long. The main problem now though was that because I had been standing and walking in an unnatural position to try and keep the pain off of the area where it hurt, my muscles had tensed up in an awkward way which is why it hurt when I tried to lay it flat, walk, run, go up stairs, etc.

I'm very happy to say that after two treatments, my foot felt MUCH better. She used acupuncture around my right foot, but all over my body and even my head and neck too! She also massaged the tension out of my foot. The first day she did it, I endured the pain for as long as possible before I cried out, "It hurts so much!" to which she very calmly replied, "It's only temporary. Endure it a bit longer." ^^;;; After the third treatment I could barely feel the pain. It actually felt kinda nice. :)

It got worse temporarily when I got back as I overdid things a bit, but it's now almost 100% better. Yay!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment