Saturday, September 3, 2011

5 Love Languages of Children

On Friday, September 2nd, Susan led a one and a half hour seminar on the Five Love Language of Children at Koyo Chapel during their monthly ladies' outreach event, Sumire Cafe. Peter was in Tohoku at the time volunteering in the tsunami / earthquake disaster areas, Juhee had been sick Monday - Tuesday and Sungjae was sick Wednesday - Thursday, so I was worried that I might not be able to attend. Thankfully, on Thursday night, Sungjae's fever broke so I was able to go. Phew!

I really wanted to go for the sake of my own learning to educate myself in being a better mother (yay for seminars in ENGLISH!!!) :), but also to learn from Susan how to teach as she's an awesome, very thoughtful, and gifted teacher, and also because I'd invited some friends to join us for the morning. Some were missionaries here in the Hiroshima area. One was a mommy friend from Juhee's preschool, Samuel Yochien. It was her 2nd time attending Sumire Cafe - yay! :)

Susan taught about the 5 Love Languages and had something special planned for each love language after she explained it. The five are:

1. Physical Touch
2. Words of Affirmation
3. Quality Time
4. Gifts
5. Loving by Helping

After explaining "Words of Affirmation", Susan had us all do an activity. We had to write a card with words of affirmation to one of our children. Susan had brought little note cards for everyone. The room went quiet as the moms sat, thought carefully, and then wrote notes to their children. I wrote a simple one for Juhee and she loved it! :)

Susan mentioned that it's hard to find out a child's love language for kids under five, but I think I know Juhee's 'cause it's pretty extreme. I'm pretty sure her #1 is "Physical Touch" because even as a baby, she loved sleeping right next to me or on top of me and even in the middle of the night would climb on top of me multiple times. As she grew older, she always wanted to touch our sleeve and now always wants to touch our hair pre- and post-sleeping and cuddle. She LOVES big hugs and kisses, and likes holding hands too. I know most kids love hugs, kisses, etc and Sungjae does too, but I can see a big difference between the two of them already.

While the seminar was taking place, the little kids played in the back on a blanket while Keiko-sensei (Pastor Haitaka's wife) and Shigekawa-san watched them. Sungjae was there most of the time so I was able to concentrate and take some notes. I'm sure the other moms of little ones were grateful for the babysitting too! Around about the time Susan finished, the 4 Samuel Yochien girls came in, joined us for a delicious traditional Japanese lunch, and then all played together afterwards. Two of the Samuel Yochien girls, including Juhee, are from Christian homes and two are not. All four ride the same bus together to and from Yochien every weekday at two different bus stops. For one of the moms, it was her first time attending a church event.


I pray that the moms that were there, me included, will be able to remember and put what we learned from Susan that day into practice so that we can continuously, purposefully, intentionally, correctly, and creatively, fill our children's love tanks. I want my children to feel loved and be confident in the knowledge that they are loved. It doesn't just happen. Now, I am much better equipped and will hopefully be able to speak their love languages better. Pray for me and Peter please! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment