Monday, April 1, 2013

Sweet or Sour Pickles?

I don't usually do this, but this one was special.  The below is most of a newsletter from our Pioneers teammates down in Shimonoseki, a couple of hours south from where we are.  Tony and Marcia Haug have been here the longest (out of the Pioneers missionaries in Japan) and are on their THIRD church plant.  Amazing, right?  Their ministry is slightly different from most of the other Pioneers teams in that they plant churches themselves instead of helping Japanese pastors to plant churches.  Marcia is actually a 2nd generation Japan MK so grew up speaking Japanese and Tony is fluent in it now too.  He has absolutely no problems preaching or giving talks in public forums in Japanese - unlike the rest of us! ;P  The story below is from one of Tony's most recent opportunities to be bold for Jesus in Japan.  It's awesome...  My jaw just dropped lower and lower as I was reading this...  I really pray that someday, I will be able to have the language, the Biblical knowledge, the ability to be able to have the Holy Spirit guide my speech, and the boldness and courage to be able to do what Tony did this day.  It's absolutely awesome!  I'm so grateful for and encouraged by the Haug's.  They have the most awesome stories. :)  Here's one of them...

Sweet or Sour Pickles?
Several years ago, the city of Shimonoseki began a yearly symposium called Rakuuza (translated Fun Seminar). Special speakers that have some type of relationship to Shimonoseki--politicians, musicians, artists, novelists etc. are invited to come and speak on their area of specialty. For the first time, I was invited to join the 60 guest speakers as a representative of Christianity. Along with a Buddhist priest, Mr. Koubun Nishijima and Shinto priest, Michio Naruse, I sat on a stage at Shimonoseki City College and shared some foundational principles of Christianity to over 100 people in a casual debate format.

I met the MC for our discussion and the two priests, the night before at a local hotel where we shared a buffet along with all of the other participants in the symposium. The conversation which took place at our table was  revealing of the core attitude of religion in Japan. There is a saying in Japan that says, "Minna chigatte, Minna ee."This basically means, "We are all different, but all good in our own way." This philosophy transfers over into the religious realm.  
Tony and priests
Mr. Itou, Tony 
Mr. Nishijima, Mr. Naruse 
During the meal, Mr.Naruse, the Shinto priest, expressed to me, "Japanese are like sponges, they absorb religions from various places and tweek them a little to become their own." The Buddhist priest, Mr. Nishijima echoed a similar sentiment during the discussion the following day when he said, "I think Buddhism is like a recipe book, you play around with a recipe and create something. You decide what your soul wants to make. It is your own responsibility what you do with the ingredients."

The session I participated in was one of the most well attended of the symposium. Around 100 people filled every available chair in the college classroom to hear what we had to say. The stark contrast between the concrete Truth and direction which Scripture gives in living a fulfilled life and the empty, meaningless banter promoted as religion by the two priests was evident to all of those who were listening.  

Part of the way through the discussion, Mr. Nishijima, the Buddhist priest said, "I am afraid that about 80% of you are probably leaning his (Tony's) way! Uh Oh!" The Shinto priest, Mr. Naruse added, "I also thought he (Tony) was convincing. It could be because I had had a lot to drink last night, but I also thought, 'Maybe I will become a believer too!' I need to learn from him." I felt the prayers of God's people and a special enabling power from God as point after point, I respectfully brought the discussion back to the teachings of Scripture.

Mr. Naruse opened the discussion with his view of the importance of religion in life. He explained, "I don't think it is necessary to think too deeply about religion. For instance when you sit down to eat a meal, the main course is the rice. You have the side dishes. If you have pickles to go with the meal, it makes everything taste even better, doesn't it? I think you should think of religion like the pickles. It makes life a little better. If you think of religion as more than that, it will become a burden to you. Just as pickles make a meal a little more delicious, religion makes life a little more pleasant and enriches you a little more."

In response, I shared the reason why I came to Japan as a missionary--to share the Good News of a Message that changed my life. Salvation through faith in Christ and the forgiveness of sins is the most delicious message of all, I explained. Christianity is not a religion, but a daily relationship with a Living Being, I clarified. Coming back to this point time and time again in various forms throughout the hour, I was able to speak on topics of marriage, death and bullying.  

Tony speaking at Shimonoseki CollegeAt one point, Mr. Ito, the MC, laughingly said, "Tony is so convincing in his speech that I thought at one point last night around the dinner table, that Mr. Nishijima was going to become a Christian!" The Buddhist priest did seem to have a piqued interest in the Truth I was sharing. He frequently nodded his head in agreement! During the panel discussion, Mr. Nishijima turned to the Shinto priest and said, "As I was listening to you speak, I wondered... We put our hands together to pray, but are our prayers answered? Is there a god or Hotoke*? Have any of you (speaking to the audience) ever said such a thing at least once in your life? Shinto worship nature, but can nature forgive you? Nature can't forgive your selfishness. Shinto teaches that nature is your mother and father. That is what you are worshiping."

I nodded my head in agreement at this astute observation and followed with three questions which everyone wants answered: "Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where do I go after I die?" I quoted John 14:6 for them:
I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

In response to Mr. Ito's final question of the morning, "What is important for the children of this generation to remember?" I was able to repeat again that what was important was the same now as in every generation before- salvation . Christ was put upon cross to resolve the problem of sin. "It is not enough just to believe in something, "I explained. "A point of reference is important. It is not enough to just believe, but the object of belief is important."

Pray that the seeds of Truth that were planted in this Buddhist/Shinto audience will take root and grow into faith in the Creator God.

Our Savior is the main course, not just the pickles!


*Hotoke can refer to a person who has become enlightened and therefore has become a buddha. It can also refer to Buddhism as a whole. The word "god" is probably referred to as the shinto gods and Hotoke as the Shinto gods in this reference. 

(From the Haug's prayer requests section...)
7.**URGENT** Beginning August 2013, we will be in need of another Conversational English teacher to take Hilary's place. Are you or anyone you know interested in coming to Japan to help introduce people to Christ through teaching English? Teachers would receive 1350 dollars per month. The remaining 500 dollars per month and cost of the plane ticket would need to be raised before arrival. You can use a skill you already have--speaking English to help reach Japanese for Christ!  Please contact us immediately if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment