Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sumire Cafe - Japanese Cooking Class

Every Friday at Koyo Chapel, the ladies get together for a Bible study from 10:30am and they call this group "Sumirekai" (Violet - as in the flower - Meeting). However, once a month "Sumirekai" becomes "Sumire Cafe" and they have a cooking class as a fun outreach event.

Keiko-san (Pastor Haitaka's wife) called me one day and personally invited me to the one on the 18th. I asked her what kind of food they'd be making and she said Japanese style fish and various vegetable dishes so I was very excited! I'd mentioned to her that I want to learn how to cook more Japanese dishes as the ingredients are easier to find and cheaper than those for American or Korean ones. All four of us (even Sungjae :)) like fish, so I was looking forward to learning another fish dish.

We paid the JPY150 fee and when I sat down, I realized that I couldn't read the recipes. I could make out words here and there but I don't know enough Japanese to be able to follow the instructions. I couldn't even figure out all of the ingredients!

After some singing, praying and a message by Pastor Haitaka, everyone went up towards the front of the chapel to watch the cooking demonstration. They gave us four recipes and the instructor for the day, a member of Koyo Chapel, demonstrated how to make two of them and part of another one.
Juhee played under the table / by the chairs with kitchen toys while the cooking demonstration was taking place. Once it was over, we all returned to our seats where a full meal with the four recipes that were given to us + soup was prepared for us at our seats. They even had simply made paper place mats!

It was all very beautiful and very delicious. Juhee didn't like the green broccoli-looking veg but she liked the rest. :) Hopefully I'll be able to make at least the rice mixture and fish sauce soon.

Next month, Susan will be teaching how to make chili (or "chili soup" as they call it here) and cornbread and will be giving a message on friendship. I'll be there! Hopefully lots of other ladies will be there too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment