I've always liked udon, but now that I'm in udon country, I'm starting to like it even more!
It's a little bit different than what I'm used to from my previous udon experiences in Korea and the US. Here, the udon noodles are much longer. Like really long. I have trouble slurping up the noodle in one slurp.
Also, the range of udon that you can choose from is just amazing! There are sooo many different types of udon. One that seems to be pretty popular is curry udon. There are even types of udon that have no soup! Hmmm... Will have to try them someday...
On Tuesday, a friend from Kabe Chapel, met us at one of the Social Welfare buildings with her son so the three kids could play together in the kids' play room for a bit before going to lunch. She introduced us to an udon restaurant close to our place. It was my first time in an udon restaurant (there are lots of udon restaurants and ramen restaurants here). It was cafeteria style - people lined up, took a tray, and then told the udon master :) what they wanted. He's so fast! It was fun watching him. You continue down towards the cash register, picking up toppings, rice balls, etc on your way. There was even a FREE REFILL oden bar!!! I was so happy!!! :) Delicious udon AND oden. My goodness. :) I was very excited and completely went overboard so put too much on my tray but Juhee and I ate everything. It was sooo delicious! We had very happy, very full tummies, and all for just over $10. Let me tell you, that is a very very good deal! AND if my tummy had space, I could have potentially gone back to the oden bar for more oden... Wow...
It was hard to take pictures 'cause we had so much hot soup everywhere and three pairs of very quick, little, inquisitive hands. One thing I did really want to take a picture of but didn't manage to, was my friend's little udon noodle cutter which she she's very thoughtfully brought along with her and produced from her bag as Juhee started to eat. Of course, it had a matching case too. Very Japanese. :) I need to get one! =D
I'm looking forward to taking Peter there sometime. The udon itself is only ¥200 for a plain adult size udon (what I got), ¥150 for a plain child sized udon (what I got for Juhee) and the toppings were pretty cheap too.
It was a very fun morning and I got to ask lots of questions to my friend and as she speaks English, I could understand the answers to my questions and communicate with her quickly and without difficulty. Yay!!! Our kids had a good time playing too. I love new experiences and so going to the udon restaurant, but having someone to guide me, made it a fun and exciting experience with no stress. Just fun and lots of delicious food! :)
I'm so excited that we know about this place now. I think this is going to be on our list of top restaurants to take people. :)
On a Wing and a Prayer
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment