Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Kids' Room"

At M- preschool close to the Murray's, they have a free program called "Kids' Room" (in English, or in Japanese, "ki-zu ru-mu") for 0-3 year olds, 2-3 Mondays per month from 10:00-11:30am. Pam took Juhee to a class in December during the week that we stayed at the Murray's. Sydney and Taylor kindly went with them. Juhee didn't know Pam very well at the time so I wasn't sure if she would go if it was just her and Pam.  Thankfully, Juhee had a great time so I've been taking her as often as possible since then.

After taking her on her own when I first took her, I started to take Sungjae too. It's a bit hard because I have to hold him a lot of the time and he's so heavy and squirmy, but he has lots of fun too when he's not trapped in mommy's arms. :)

Juhee loves playing with the hula hoops, in the milk & juice carton structures, playing with the blocks, balls, etc but I think she actually loves reading the many children's books there the most.

Sungjae loves chasing after and putting the balls and blocks pieces into his mouth, and climbing up onto things.

It starts with free playtime till about 10:40am or so and then the teacher leads them in lots of different fun activities. There's always circle time (story time) towards the end and juice (Yakult-type) drinking time too! Juhee loves Yakult and Sungjae hasn't tried it yet, but he always gets very excited when he sees it so Juhee had to hide hers and I had to watch him carefully because he would crawl very quickly to try and get some other kids'! Some moms give it to their babies, but I think I'll wait till he's after one before giving him some. I asked one of the moms and that's what she suggested. I liked her suggestion. :)

Both Juhee & Sungjae had little booklets that had all of the Kids' Room dates on it and they received a sticker to put in the box corresponding to that day every time they went. They also had name badges in the shape of rabbits, pink for Juhee and blue for Sungjae. The moms had yellow name badges. The school also seems to have a connection with a Korean organization involved with disabled children as there's a big frame from this organization in the front of the room, which reads "꿈을 나누는 사람이 꽃보다 아름답습니다" (a person who shares dreams is more beautiful than a flower).

M preschool's "Kids' Room" class, was Juhee's first classroom experience in Japan and I think it gave her a really good, positive start. The repetition during the classes helped Juhee to practice essential Japanese phrases like "ohaiyo gozaimasu" (good morning), "itadakimasu" (bon appetite / 잘 먹겠습니다), and "gochisousama" (said after a meal / 잘 먹었습니다) and the accompanying gestures, like bowing when saying the first one and putting hands together while bowing for the second & third ones. M sensei also made sure that I understood what was going on and took special care of Juhee. Each class was a good opportunity for me to practice some Japanese too.  On the last day, one of the moms that I speak to almost every time, actually invited me to a free traditional Japanese concert! It's on a Sunday afternoon, which is a bit awkward for us, but we're going to try our best to go. It's a bit far too in an area we haven't been to yet, but we'll try. There's going to be a traditional Japanese drum performance too!

Monday, March 7th, was our last day. :( Juhee starts school in April so won't be able to go any longer and as it's a bit far and during Sungjae's nap time, so Sungjae won't be going for a while, if ever. Juhee prepared a Thank You card for M sensei (teacher) with a drawing of M sensei, a rainbow, heart, circle, etc inside. I wrote a short note in Korean (she's learning Korean and goes to Korea now and again for teaching related classes), English (learning English from Pam) and Japanese, my first ever trilingual card! :) I prepared a little container of Korean food for her to try too.


M sensei is an awesome teacher, full of energy and fun ideas, and who obviously loves children very much.  I can't adequately express in words how grateful I am that Juhee's first experience was such a happy one!  It was definitely worth the 30 hour drive, come rain or snow.  I am so grateful to Pam, Sydney, Taylor and M sensei for sacrificing their time, and for their love and care.  Kids' Room gave us something to look forward to and an outlet for our increasing stir-craziness at a time of great stress.  I will always remember M sensei & Kids' Room with very fond memories and I think Juhee will too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment